Saturday, December 1, 2012

Korean Pancakes from one of my favorite internet doctors

....Dr. Ben Kim.  I made these pancakes for brunch this morning, along with Dr. Kim's Pomegranate and Almond Salad.  Sadly, I didn't get a pic of the salad, it was beautiful, simple, and healthy, of course, as all of Dr. Kim's recipes are.

I did grab one shot of the lovely pancakes:




The sauce - with a few drops of fire oil - really made the dish.  My friend thought they were delicious, and they were, but I'd do them a little differently next time.  I found the flavor very delicate, which apparently isn't really my thing, though I do want to do them again.  I looked up Korean pancakes in my copy of Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian, and she adds egg, sesame oil, and sauteed mushrooms and chiles - those are certainly great ideas.  She also starts with wheat flour and rice flour instead of mung beans and a little rice, but I think starting with the more whole grains is the way I prefer.  I would probably cut back on the mung bean mixture by about half - or double everything else - and add some sesame oil, mushrooms, and maybe a little more salt to the batter.

Just after the Korean pancake recipe in World Vegetarian is a one for Vietnamese pancakes, or Banh Xeo.  The pancake recipe itself is extremely similar, but the sauce has lime juice, crushed garlic, chile, and roasted peanuts in addition to soy sauce, and it calls for bean sprouts and fresh mint and basil as garnishes.  So maybe I'll try that next time instead...

1 comment:


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com. I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete